Friday, August 22, 2014

2.9 Mile Walk at the Crossings of Colonie
Friday, August 22, 2014

After spending a while mentally debating about where to run today, I finally decided that the problem wasn't a question of where to run but that I just didn't want to run. And with the rain I didn't really want to ride or walk anywhere particularly muddy - so I opted to hit the paved paths of the Crossings of Colonie, which had the added convenience of allowing me to run a few errands afterwards.

Not too many people - a plus side to the chilly, damp weather - but lots of birds were out and about.  Something about that park is ideal for mockingbirds... I've never seen so many in one place, including a couple of of fuzzballs that I suspect were youngsters.



















The pond had the usual groups of mallards, with the local geese off in a nearby field getting their dinner. But the treat was an egret near the edge of the pond, picking off little fish left and right. I spent a good while watching him.




























There was also a hawk perched on one of the power poles that bisect the southern half of the park, Surprisingly, he didn't fly off when I lingered to take his picture, or when several runners went by.



















The one thing I didn't see was bluebirds, which is unusual - typically there are quite a few along the fence line. 

JMH