Saturday, October 04, 2014

CHILLY, RAINY DAY...
2.2 Mile Walk at the Crossings of Colonie
Saturday, October 4, 2014

One plus to the chill and rain today -  it was very quiet at the Crossings of Colonie. Usually there are dozens of walkers, runners, riders, and dog walkers on the trails... today I think I saw five other people out in the rain in the little more than an hour that I was there.

Another treat was the flock of about a dozen cormorants swimming in the pond... I've never seen that before. Plus of course the usual assortment of ducks, gulls, and geese, and even two herons. I even spotted an egret hunkered down in the wetlands in the southern end of the park - other than blackbirds, I've never seen anything back in there.

Ordinarily I'd have stayed out longer, even with the rain, but in light of the events of this week I thought it best to play it safe. Still, a short walk is better than no walk at all, especially on a day as quiet as today.

JMH