Sunday, December 21, 2014


COLD WITH LIGHT SLEET...
12 Mile Ride Through the Corning Riverfront Preserve
Sunday, December 21, 2014


Two things this year have made it very clear to me that I enjoy biking but I don't love it in the way I love running and snowshoeing... the first was finding stretches of the Maine Lighthouse Century ride just plain tedious. Hours of riding along country roads with the prospect of hours more to go... sigh. Thank heavens a good chunk of the 2nd half was along the seacoast so at least there was some interesting and (for me) unusual scenery.



The second was getting out of the car today at the Corning Preserve, setting off into the damp cold and mild sleet, with my hands burning after I'd barely started, and thinking how nice it would be to cut the ride short and go back home. Honestly, if I wasn't struggling to hit 2000 miles before the end of the year, I probably would have done just that. Riding on a grey, damp, cold winter day just isn't all that appealing to me.




The ride did get better once I'd warmed up, enough so that I did a second loop down through the riverfront park before loading the bike up, cranking up the heat, and heading back home. But if it wasn't for needing the miles to hopefully make that goal - I would have been much happier going for a run today.




JMH