Monday, January 19, 2015

ICE, ICE, ICE!
1.6 Mile Walk Around the Pine Hills Neighborhood
Monday, January 19, 2015

Last night and this morning one of the big topics on the news was the large numbers of accidents that occurred yesterday across the Northeast due to icy roads. We were fortunate enough to avoid that out in Rochester, but when I got back to Albany today I did get to see some of the after-effects - many of the sidewalks around here are covered in ice, probably in part because many people didn't bother to clear their sidewalks after the last few snowstorms.

I only made it a few houses down the street before I turned around to get my screwshoes... they're not particularly comfortable on pavement and were no fun at all on the tiled floors at the grocery store, but they were the only way I remained upright for much of my walk. 

Unfortunately, with below-freezing temperatures forecast for the next few days, it's not at all clear when we'll finally be rid of the ice, unless people get smart and start putting some salt or ice melt out.

JMH