Friday, May 01, 2015

TIRED LEGS & TRAIL REROUTINGS
2.8 Mile Run in the Albany Pine Bush
Friday, May 1, 2015

I had hoped to run 5-7 miles today... but it became clear very quickly that my legs are still pretty beat up from last Saturday's paddle triathlon... while I'm sure I could have finished a longer run, I've got the Medved Madness trail race coming up in two days, and I'm hoping to actually run all three loops this year. So I listened to my legs and cut the run very short.

The trails through Karner Barrens West have undergone a slight re-routing... where the trail used to run slightly into the interior of the preserve and then went up and over one of the dunes, now it runs straight along the perimeter, much closer to the Thruway. No big surprise - the Pine Bush Commission seems to be moving more and more of the trails to the preserve perimeters, presumably to reduce "habitat fragmentation." In some ways I think that's unfortunate, because many of the newer trails run along noisy areas or past backyards or more developed areas, away from some of the more attractive parts of the Preserve.

JMH