Saturday, November 21, 2015

21.8 Mile Ride on the Ashuwillticook Rail Trail
Saturday, November 21, 2015

It's been over a year since I rode the entire length of the Ashuwillticook Trail, though Ann and I rode a lot of it this past August. Since my plans to run in Maine this weekend fell through (actually, my plans to run, period, fell through) it seemed like a good opportunity to ride the trail, especially since it's not at all clear I'll have another chance before next spring.

My legs were definitely feeling my recent lack of riding... even with the overall downhill into Adams, it was a struggle at times to keep going. At least the path wasn't particularly crowded... one advantage to riding at a time of the year when more and more folks are staying indoors.

Actually, the real struggle was the trip back to the parking lot at the edge of the Berkshire Mall. Uphill most of the way (with a good climb out of Adams, followed by a gentle uphill grade for about six miles after that) and my legs let me know they weren't pleased. Fortunately I wasn't looking to set any speed records - just plodded along and was really happy to see the end of the trail when I finally got there.

It would have been nice to get in a walk somewhere on the way home, but by the time I got my act together, headed over to Pittsfield, and rode for a little over two hours, I would have been walking in the dark, and I didn't feel like doing that this time around. So after a side trip to Price Chopper (oops, I mean "Market 32" - apparently they've been rebranded already, and I continue to think the new store exteriors are hideously ugly) I made the same drive home that I've done a couple of hundred times before, and was reminded of how much I miss spending time over in the Berkshires. I love some of the places right near Albany... but sorry, in the end there's just no comparison.

JMH