Saturday, January 02, 2016

SAD NEWS - ANDY M. STEWART
Saturday, January 2, 2016

One of the sad parts of getting older is learning that folks you've known of for much of your life have died. During my drive back to Albany this evening I heard on a radio program that one of my favorite Scottish singers, Andy M. Stewart, left us last week.

Andy M Stewart's obituary

Andy was a Scottish singer/songwriter/musician who was the primary vocalist for Silly Wizard for around a dozen years (until the group disbanded in 1988) and who toured pretty extensively as a solo artist or in combination with several partners. I'd heard that he had some pretty major health issues recently, particularly problems with his back, and apparently unsuccessful spinal surgery left him paralyzed from the waist down for the last few years. He suffered a stroke recently and passed away on December 27.

Along with the Tannahill Weavers, Silly Wizard and Andy's solo efforts were some of the first celtic music I listened to, in part because of Charles DeLint referring to Silly Wizard in one of his books that I really enjoyed (Moonheart, I think.) And while I have since added hundreds of albums by various groups and musicians to my collection, they remain some of my favorites.

While I was in graduate school I had the good fortune to hear Silly Wizard in concert during their final tour in 1988 (ironically, I've since learned that they performed their last gig in Voorheesville, all of 20 minutes from where I live now) and what an experience that was! In addition to the wonderful music, the stories and jokes were fantastic. A year or two later I had the chance to hear Andy in concert, touring with Manus Lunny - another magical experience. Looking back on that now, it's a shame that it took me so long (24 years, I think) before I made the effort to hear some of the other performers I've enjoyed for decades in live concerts. Regardless, Silly Wizard and Andy M Stewart were the first, and they remain among the best.

There had been rumors on and off of a Silly Wizard reunion which never happened, and between the deaths of Johnny Cunningham in 2003 and Andy now, it never will. Fortunately, they've left us a wealth of music to enjoy. Andy said in a 1991 interview that he hoped he'd be remembered fondly by his friends and those he'd leave behind, and that he hoped his songs would endure. I think it's fair to say that he more than accomplished that. 

I'm linking to several videos that give a sample of Andy's music both with and without Silly Wizard... needless to say there is plenty more to listen to if you like what you hear.


Silly Wizard - The Queen of Argyll




Silly Wizard live - Donald McGillavry

Silly Wizard live - Land o' the Leal

Andy M Stewart - The Ramblin' Rover

Andy M Stewart - The Man in the Moon

Andy M Stewart & Manus Lunny - If I Never Spend a Morning Without You

JMH