Saturday, June 18, 2016

SAD TURTLE #2
1.4 Mile Walk at Ann Lee Pond & the Albany Shaker Historic Site
Saturday, June 18, 2016

Ann Lee Pond has been calling to me for a few days now... so this evening I headed over there for a walk. Started out at the Shaker Site - walked over to the barn to check out the chickens and turkeys (who always seem to think I'll have food... I guess the main time they have visitors is when they get fed.) Two oxen in the field, and as I walked over to the pond I saw several rabbits, including one tiny youngster that would have fit in the palm of my hand.

I walked along the shore of the pond, staying clear of the folks fishing, and noticed that the bridge at the back of the pond looked different - as in it seemed the deck and rails had been removed. When I got back there, that indeed proved to be the case - all that remains are the support pilings and the crossbeams.

The optimist in me suggests that perhaps they left the supports in place so that they can be straightened and the bridge rebuilt... but the general degree of neglect to the preserve suggests otherwise. More likely the supports are still there because it was too difficult to remove them.

Only time will tell, but at the moment - I really miss that bridge. It was a great place to go and observe wildlife.

JMH