Sunday, July 10, 2016

20.1 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Sunday, July 10, 2016

I had originally planned to run the Race Against Cancer 10k down at the Corning Preserve this morning, but the state of my legs when I got up early in the AM suggested this was not the best plan... and the way they felt during my ride today backed that up. Of course, it didn't help that for the initial 6-7 miles heading west I was riding into a stiff headwind. Felt a lot better once I turned around and headed back... having that wind pushing me along was a definite plus. So much so that I decided to keep going when I got back to Lock 8 and rode all the way to SCCC. Of course, that meant 2.5 miles of pushing against the wind to get back to the car... sigh.

Other than the wind it was a gorgeous day... sunny and not too warm. A storm swept through but thankfully moved north of the river - it didn't actually start raining where I was until long after I'd finished riding and some shopping over in Bethlehem - and even then I only got hit with some rain just as I was getting home. I might have missed it entirely, except that I ran into a former student who I haven't seen in something like six years and we stood and talked for a while in the aisle at the store.

It's a little unnerving how much yesterday's race took out of me... especially given the amount of walking I did, and the number of 8-9 mile runs I've been doing lately. Hopefully I will see evidence of my legs getting stronger as the summer progresses...
 
JMH