Saturday, November 19, 2016

11.1 Mile Ride Through the Corning Preserve
Saturday, November 19, 2016

Apparently all roads lead to the Corning Preserve today. I had originally planned to leave Albany between 12:30 and 1 PM and stop at the Northampton trailhead for the Norrowottuck rail trail to ride for a while... but then I ran harder than I had planned this morning, which meant I was unlikely to ride more than half the length of the trail - and it just didn't seem worth lugging my bike all over the place this weekend just to ride 10 miles.

The Corning Preserve, on the other hand, has the advantages of being close by and relatively easy riding (though all of the root-and-frost-heaves are annoying.) It was a bit crowded today because of the unseasonably warm weather (I was riding in shorts and shirt sleeves rather than tights and a jacket.) I had a slight tailwind on the way out, which was very nice... but even riding into the breeze on the way back wasn't too bad.

It remains to be seen what kind of shape my legs will be in for tomorrow's 8 miler at Burlingame... but then the Lil Rhody is a fun trail race even if I end up plodding along like the turtle I am.

JMH