Sunday, November 20, 2016

SNOW IN THE MOUNTAINS...
Sunday, November 20, 2016

Ordinarily I'd visit Trustom Pond NWR after running the Lil Rhody, but today I decided to get on the road back to Albany immediately, because the weather forecast called for snow at higher elevations and I didn't want to be driving over the Berkshires and Taconics in a snowstorm in the dark. Turned out to be a good decision... there was almost no precipitation all the way to the MA Turnpike, and then as soon as I started the climb out of West Springfield - the snow kicked in, making for a mildly nerve-wracking 40 miles or so. The precipitation let up not long after I crossed the border into NY, but clearly snow had fallen there too - just not as much as in the mountains. I briefly wondered if I should unpack my snowshoes from storage... but once I crossed the Hudson into Albany, all traces of snow vanished. So my guess is I won't be getting any pre-season snowshoe practice in this week...

JMH