Monday, January 16, 2017

UP & DOWN THOSE NISKAYUNA HILLS... IN JANUARY???
23.2 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Monday, January 16, 2016

My original plan was to ride the Zim Smith trail today, but when I got to Shenantaha Park, there was another rider loading his bike who said that I wouldn't get far before hitting a lot of ice... even if I'd brought my fat bike that would have been bad news. So I got back in the car and headed down to Mohawk Riverside Landing Park, where I knew I'd find at least 5 or 6 miles of clear path. What was surprising was just how much of the path ended up being ice-free...

I started out riding over to Lock 7 and then the old landfill in Niskayuna. The ride up the hill felt better than I expected after running 20+ miles over the weekend, so I decided to keep going and see how far I could get before hitting ice... and made it all the way to Balltown Rd, with only one spot where I needed to walk the bike.

Back at the park, I decided to head east for a couple more miles... and kept going all the way to the top of the hill heading down to Island View Rd. I've no doubt I could have kept going had I had more time (it was getting near sunset) and more juice in my legs.

All in all, a a much better ride than I would have had on the Zim Smith, and one heck of a ride for mid-January...

JMH