Thursday, September 21, 2017

TOO... HOT...!
8.6 Mile Run in the Albany Pine Bush
Thursday, September 21, 2017

My original plan for today was to head over to northwestern MA and run/hike some of the trails at Savoy & Monroe State Forests... except I ended up not getting enough sleep last night and decided that 14-15 miles up and down Berkshire hills plus well over 3 1/2 hours of driving was not a good choice for today's agenda. So instead I decided to keep it local and went to the Albany Pine Bush instead.

Given the heat I should have carried two water bottles and I definitely should have brought along some food - I started getting hungry by the time I made it to DiCaprio Park. I had hoped to top off my water bottle there but the bathrooms were locked and I wasn't sure if I should trust the outside faucet to be potable.

Lots of changes to the Pine Bush trails, both in terms of re-routes and even more clearing out all but a few trees. When I first started running there 15 years ago or so, many of the trails were pleasantly shaded and surrounded by woods. Those are increasingly in the minority, and I wouldn't be surprised if they pretty much disappear in a few more years as the Pine Bush Commission fulfills its goal of returning as much of the preserve as possible to meadow conditions.


JMH