Friday, January 05, 2018

NATURE SCOFFS AT MY PLANS
No Frozen Assets or Winter Warrior for the Turtle 😡
Friday, January 5, 2018

I refuse to call this weather by whatever overly dramatic name the Weather Channel has come up with to get people panicking and visiting their site more often for updates... but after swearing all week that I would be out in Rochester tomorrow come frozen hell or high snow banks - I'm not going, and it's all due to the weather.

The conditions for the two races are intimidating (-25 degrees in the morning with the windchill, -15 degrees in the evening) but not insurmountable - the snowshoe race would only take around an hour and involves plenty of hard work, and if worst came to worst I could stop early at the Winter Warrior, which is a 4 lap course. Unfortunately, Ann said the roads are also pretty bad - lots of blowing snow and icy surfaces - with lots of accident reports. So when I put it all together I concluded that it made more sense to stay here this weekend... which is very frustrating, given that I signed up for and skipped these same two races a year ago. And I was also looking at this weekend as my first foray into more consistent longer distances in 2018.

So it goes. At least I have a "local" snowshoe race to go to on Sunday (about two hours away in VT, but part of the WMAC series I help organize) though I'll be taking an unconventional approach to that - I'm going to be race photographer while everyone else runs, then run the course and pull down whatever markings are out there after everyone is finished.

JMH