Monday, January 15, 2018

Feathered & Furry
Monday, January 15, 2018

My bird feeders have been remarkably slow to empty over the last month or two... so much so that I started to wonder of something had happened to the huge flock of sparrows that used to descend on my backyard (30-40 of the little buggers all at once.) I have seen some cats hanging out back there every once in a while, and late in the fall found two dead squirrels. And a couple of weeks ago I looked out at a group of crows that were going after the corn I put out for the squirrels, and I noticed this guy hanging out in the trees.



I'm pretty sure that's a Cooper's Hook, and given that I've seen him once or twice since then it's pretty clear he's figured out that my backyard is a good place to check for a potential meal. I suspect the squirrels are too big for him, but the birds are just the right size. (Too bad I can't get the mice to scurry round out there when he's around.) And apparently the birds have figured out that the backyard isn't as safe as it once was, because they're very jumpy and clearly aren't visiting the feeders as often as they have in the past. Mainly I've been seeing squirrels and mourning doves out there, when thete's anyone at all.

Which is why it was nice to look out the window this afternoon and see squirrels, doves, and a smaller group of sparrows. While I won't begrudge the hawk his meals, I'd be bummed if the smaller birds gave up on my backyard entirely.

JMH