Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Erie Canalway Trail Paving, Montgomery County
Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Last spring I ran a fun evening race from the St Johnsville marina to Minden and back along the mostly unpaved Erie Canalway trail. This morning I received an email with this year's race application, and when I checked it out I noticed that it proclaimed that the route is fully paved.

A little research this evening showed that the plan is to pave the unpaved stretches of the trail in Montogomery County. On the one hand, this is great news - it will be much easier to ride that section of the trail once the paving is done. But I have to admit I'll miss the stone dust trail, both for the more rural, natural feel it conveys and because no doubt traffic on the trail will increase just as it did on the Albany County Rail Trail once it was paved.

JMH