Sunday, July 29, 2018

TO HAVE THE PERSISTANCE OF A SQUIRREL...
Sunday, July 29, 2018

While I have no problem with the squirrels gobbling up bird seed that falls on the ground, and I periodically hang a dried ear of corn for them in the summer on a bungie that makes them work a bit for it (SquirrelFit!), and I even put out critter chow in the winter - I don't want them to have access to the feeders, because they tend to empty them even faster than the birds do (and the birds empty them pretty fast, albeit by throwing a good deal of the seed on the ground.) So I have baffles on the poles for both feeders which have done a pretty good job of keeping the furry rodents where I prefer them to be gathering food - on the ground.

So imagine my surprise when I looked out the window today and saw this:




I made some noise that scared him off and waited to see how he'd come back - a while later, he did so, jumping from the fence nearby to the top of the feeder pole and then onto the sunflower feeder.

I'd rather now put a baffle on top of that pole, since the birds often land on the arms that suspend the various feeders. Guess I'll have to wait and see how much damage the bloody bugger is going to do - and whether or not he gives the other squirrels the idea of how to get to the feeders on that pole.

JMH