Saturday, September 15, 2018

Mending Fences
Saturday, September 15, 2018

For some reason, the top horizontal support beams for the fence that separates my backyard from the neighbors' tends to rot away right near the fence posts. As a result I've had one section that seemed ready to fall down for quite some time (I'm actually surprised all the squirrel activity didn't take it out) and another two sections that were in better shape but would likely need replacing by the end of next summer. I don't have any easy way to get an 8 ft x 6 ft section of stockade fence from the store to the house (though I suppose I could have them deliver it) but fortunately the handyman that my landlord hires does, so last week he brought two sections over and between Thursday evening and tonight after I got back from the Mohawk Valley, I took down the old sections and installed the new ones (or in the case of a short section, cut a section out of one of the old ones to take its place.)


I still need to dismantle the old sections so I can toss the trash and salvage any useable slats, but I can take my time doing that, as long as I get it done before winter.

And for those who wonder - yes I did leave a hole for the skunks, opossum, and raccoons to squeeze through. I imagine they'll be a bit miffed at first - I think the opossum and the raccoons were using a sizeable gap in one of the sections I replaced - but I think they'll eventually figure out that there's still a spot where they can get in and out. Unfortunately that means I can't block those to keep the cats out, but I don't know that I was managing to do that anyway.

JMH