Sunday, March 22, 2020

3.4 Mile Run at Saratoga Spa State Park
5.3 Mile Run at Saratoga Spa State Park
Sunday, March 22, 2020


 
I was originally supposed to run the 5ish mile Root n Road race at Mendon Ponds Park yesterday morning - a race similar to the old RT Turkey Run in that part of the course is on roads and part on trails in the park. My legs were tired after Friday's long run, so I delayed for a day and did my mixed-surface run today... extended the distance a bit in part because I can use the extra and in part because I really enjoy running at the Spa park and didn't want to leave anything out.
 
Friday's run was done on a 60+ degree afternoon; I'm not sure today got much above 40. The park was really busy, but I found convenient parking on the far side of the quad - a handy starting point to both runs, allowing me to change shoes in between.
 
The paved loop out the Avenue of Pines, along Rt 9, and then back on the road running along the edge of the golf course was mostly sunny and had me wondering if I'd overdressed. Fortunately, there was enough shade for the last half mile or so that I knew to keep everything I was wearing, since I'd mostly be in the woods for the trail run. No surprise, I mostly followed the 5 mile trail, with a few extra bits. Not as many folks on the trails, but lots of people playing disc golf. Luckily I didn't have to duck any flying disks.
 
I had originally thought I might go for another run tomorrow, but now I'm not sure - today was a little longer than I had planned (especially after Friday's nearly 10 miles) and my legs are definitely feeling today and Friday, so tomorrow might end up being another break day. We'll just have to wait and see.
 
JMH