Sunday, March 29, 2020

4 EAGLES, 2 HERONS, A HORNED GREBE, & TOO MANY WOODPECKERS TO COUNT
7.4 Mile Run at Schodack Island State Park
Sunday, March 29, 2020


Steady rain all morning and now it's raining steadily again, but I lucked out when I went out for my run and only had a few sprinkles as I was changing into my running shoes. And whether it was the weather, the time of day, the remoteness of the park, or the fact that I ventured a lot further from the parking lot than many folks would want to, I encountered very few people while I was out there. But plenty of critters, which I never mind...

I ended up spotting four eagles in all - two adults and two juveniles - at various points during the run. A nice change from the last time I was here.

 


I also was fortunate to see a horned grebe in the water off the boat launch as I was just getting started. I think the only other time I've seen one of these guys was a couple of years ago, when one hung out at Buckingham Pond for a few days.


I heard plenty of woodpeckers and spotted a two (one pileated, one downy) - I was reminded of a late March walk Ann and I took years ago at Greece Canal Park when the woods were full of woodpeckers.

A few deer ran away from me as I plodded down the trails. And as I was wrapping my run up two herons flew overhead. I even spotted a couple of bunnies as I was leaving the park.

JMH