Wednesday, April 15, 2020

STILL UPHILL BOTH WAYS
7.9 Mile Run on the Harlem Valley Rail Trail
Wednesday, April 15, 2020

 
Up until a little over 21 years ago, I lived 10 minutes away from the Copake branch of the Harlem Valley Rail Trail and occasionally went for runs on it after I started running. One of the things I always commented on was how it felt like the path runs uphill both ways.
 
Today I was down that way dropping some supplies off for my parents so I decided to get in a run there, and as the title states, it still feels like it's uphill both ways. Looking at the elevation profile it's clear that it's more flat than anything else... but that's not how it felt years ago, and it's not how it felt today.
 
The new segment, heading south to the next road crossing, is actually paved (though not open yet) and the section south from there to Millerton is under construction. What I'm most interested to see is if they'll manage to complete the sections from Copake to Chatham in my lifetime...
 
JMH