Tuesday, April 07, 2020

WOW.
20.5 Mile Ride on the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path, Rt 5S, & the Erie Canalway Trail
Tuesday, April 7, 2020

 
 
Aargh... got home and couldn't find my Garmin bike computer in my bag. I'll check the car tomorrow when there's light but I strongly suspect I took it off the bike, placed it on either the trunk or top of my car, and drove off without actually putting it in my bag.
 
Ended up riding longer than I expected tonight, in part due to a sweet tailwind for half the ride that had me buzzing along at 13-15 mph. Of course, that meant the other half of the time I was riding into that wind...
 
The big discovery of the evening was similar to last night's... when I was near to the Scrafford Lane end of the bike path in Rotterdam Junction, I passed a trail closed sign and found myself looking at - a construction site to build a tunnel under the railroad tracks, then follow the old railbed/towpath (currently overgrown) almost to the start of the section of bike path on the west side of town - the end of which also has a construction site that looks like it's going to be working on a tunnel under railroad tracks. I've been hearing about the plans for these tunnels for at least 15 years - it's incredible that by fall they will actually be built, and there will likely be a mostly road-free path from SCCC to the western side of Fort Plain (and after a short stretch of road, from Fort Plain to Mohawk.)
 
JMH