Friday, December 18, 2020

TOO MUCH SNOW!
Thursday, December 17, 2020
Friday, December 18, 2020

I know as a snowshoe runner I'm supposed to want ample snow but this is ridiculous. This was the view out my porch door when I opened it Thursday morning:


I'd estimate we got somewhere between 18" and 2 ft of snow.

Thursday afternoon the city announced that the anticipated snow emergency would start tomorrow at 8 AM so once I wrapped up today's classes I headed outside to dig out my car and finish digging out the sidewalk. This is what my street looked like at around 3:40 PM:



It looked pretty much the same Friday morning at 8 AM - a plow finally came through around 11 AM and I spent about an hour between classes and during my lunch break to finish dig out from the freshly plowed snow and move my car to a legal parking spot. Fortunately it seems the city was so overwhelmed that they didn't bother ticketing around here, though honestly that started annoying me later in the day Friday when things were clear enough for people to move their cars and some folks were obviously parked on the wrong side of the street - having places where the snow removal crews can't do their jobs makes life more difficult for everybody after the cleanup effort has finished because there are still areas that are buried because someone couldn't be bothered to comply with the snow emergency.

I'm finally able to go out and run again (no more house arrest!) and at the moment I'm really not sure where I'll be able to go. Most of the sidewalks are still buried and somehow I doubt the bike paths that get plowed in the winter will be done yet. And shoveling and hiking to and from my car has left me tired enough that I really don't want to tackle snowshoes yet. Oh, well, I'll figure something out.