Sunday, August 21, 2005

A GREAT DAY IN NORTHERN BERKSHIRE COUNTY
Savoy Mountain 4.5 Mi Trail Race

Sunday, August 21, 2005

2005 Savoy Trail Races Results
Savoy Trail Races info

Savoy Trail Races 2005 photo slideshow

So let me describe a good summer day: buzzing along a paved trail at 14mph, the sides of the trail lined with blooming wildflowers. Off to the left is the Cheshire Reservoir, the incredibly blue waters rippled by the breeze that keeps it from being too warm. Green mountains rise up on the other side of the water. The sun is shining, the clouds are white and fluffy. I guess it doesn't get much better than this...

Getting over to the race was a bit of an adventure. Following the advice of Mapquest, I took a new route to NW Massachusetts, only to discover that one of the roads was closed due to a bridge replacement.Fortunately, I had my maps with me, and it was easy to find another road... which then proceeded to take me up one of the steepest, longest mountain drives I've ever been on. It left me VERY thankful we hadn't been riding that road last weekend, or I'd still be out there, trudging along. (Once I got into North Adams, MA, there was still more climbing to do before reaching Savoy Mountain State Forest.)

Arrived at the very nice starting area, the North Pond recreation area in Savoy Mountain State Forest. Did all the usual prep work, and then it was time to run the race. The trail was gnarly, twisty, muddy, root-and-rock laden, good and technical. Lots of uphill, and a fair amount of downhill. LOADS of fun (I'm actually serious about that... I've got to be in shape to do the 20 miler next year!) and the race field was small enough that I was alone on the trail most of the time (though occasionally I could hear the two people behind me.) I pushed but not all out - similar to a tougher training run - and finished in 54 minutes,which amounts to 12 min/mile. Not bad at all, especially after being laid up for two weeks with my calf injury.


photo courtesy of www.albanyrunningexchange.org

JMH

No more "events" for August... September begins a big push, with the MHCC Century Days, the Pfalz Point 10 mile trail run, and possibly the Jordan Alpine Classic (an 8.5 mile trail race.)