Sunday, July 02, 2006

A Year of Long Distance - Race#7
Finger Lakes Fifties 25K Trail Race (DNS)
Saturday, July 1, 2006

Finger Lakes Fifties info

For those who don't know, "DNS" stands for "Did Not Start." The plan was that I would go to bed early Friday night and leave Albany at 3 AM, which would get me to Hector and the Finger Lakes National Forest around 7 AM - plenty of time to get checked in and gear up for the 15.6 mile run. Unfortunately, I found myself unable to get to sleep Friday night, and running that distance after being up for over 24 hours just seemed foolish (not to mention driving for 4 hours on no sleep!) So I dropped my plan to do the race and finally got some sleep in the wee hours of Saturday morning.

If I decide to try this one next year, I'll have to either get a room out there or at least go to Ann's the night before. I've done shorter races on little sleep but that kind of distance just doesn't lend itself to being exhausted at the starting line.

Saturday afternoon I drove out to Rochester and Ann and I went for a fairly relaxed bike ride along the Erie Canal. Buggy but fun.

-JMH

2006 event totals
snowshoe - 3 miles, 59.5 min
running - 74.5 miles, 19 hr 51 min
riding - 32.4 miles, 2 hr 32 min