Monday, July 17, 2006

A Year of Long Distance - Race#8
Indian Ladder 15K Trail Race
Sunday, July 16, 2006

2006 Indian Ladder 15K Trail Race results

photo slideshow of 2006 ILTR 15K Trail Race

For much of the past year I didn't think I was going to run Indian Ladder this year. After all, I've run it 7 times in the past 9 years, and this would be the 5th year for me to run the current course. The race and the course just didn't seem that exciting anymore. But then as the 2006 running season progressed I found myself wanting more and more to do the race. Not because it's exciting - but because it's an old friend. OK, and because I was hoping I might run it a little bit faster than last year! (I didn't, by the way...)

After weeks of chilly, rainy weather - the weeks leading up to Indian Ladder were the hottest we've had this year, and the day itself was a scorcher. Aggravating to run in, but good practice for August, I guess. At least we had a bright, sunny day!





One change this year - the course was the muddiest I've ever seen it (since they changed the course and cut out the section through the Hop Field swamps.) Apparently this led to a lot of slips and falls, including one fellow who either dislocated or broke his shoulder. I did a little slipping a sliding, but it wasn't too bad - with all the rain we've had I've gotten somewhat used to sloshing through muck on my runs. I did fall once, early on (tripped on a rock! Gah!) and slipped a bit coming down a steep bank late in the race (tweaking both knees, which have already been complaining from being wrenched during the Plotter Kill run earlier this week! Gah!) but no big deal.



You would think by now I'd know how to run this race - seems like every year I go out too fast and then die in the 2nd half. This year was no exception - I hit the 4 mile mark averaging just over 10 minute miles, and then took over an hour to run the next 5 miles. I think part of the problem is I always seem to forget how tough the terrain is in the 2nd half - mostly singletrack, with lots of up and down and semi-technical terrain (the type where it's really easy to blow out a knee, if you have knees like mine!) Ran parts of the 1st half with some newbies, and once again came away feeling like a grizzled old Trail Turtle... it's always strange when other runners look to me for support and reassurance, given that I'm really not very good at this running thing! (Then again, I guess in this particular race I do have the advantage of experience, having run this course 5 times in 6 years.)



So I ran the race, and had a certain amount of self-torturous fun, and abandoned my partial plan to run the 3.5 miler (it was just too freakin' hot... my legs could have handled it but the rest of me would have gone into meltdown.) Right now I seem stuck in the high 1:40's finishing time - last year was 1:48, this year 1:49 - so I guess I'll have no choice but to run Indian Ladder again next year to see if (1) I can finish this race faster, and (2) I can finally run both the long and the short races.



And as always, Ann was a good sport about being there and taking care of me afterwards. I'm lucky she puts up with me.

Next up: the Forge the Gorgeous 7 mile Trail Race at Filmore Glen State Park! (Assuming I can get my backside out of bed in time to get there Saturday morning!)

JMH

2006 event totals
snowshoe - 3 miles, 59.5 min
running - 83.8 miles, 21 hr 40 min
riding - 32.4 miles, 2 hr 32 min