Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Year of the Crashed Turtle - Race#11
The Adirondack Marathon (DNS)
19 Miles Along the Mohawk-Hudson Bikepath
Sunday, September 17, 2006

Adirondack Marathon information

A few years back (2001, I think) I made plans to run the Adirondack Marathon and cancelled on the morning of the race for a variety of very good reasons.

As I began my Year of Long Distance, it was only natural to plan to make the Adirondack Marathon a part of the fun. As of mid-August I was on track with training and really looking forward to finally completing the race. Unfortunately, my bike crash on August 17 demolished those plans by leaving me unable to run or ride for almost 4 weeks after the crash and 0/2 for the marathon.

The Adirondack Marathon was today. I think it would have been a good run - a bit hot perhaps, but up in the Adirondacks the weather might have been just right. Kind of a bummer, all told.

I did manage to get out on my bike today for the longest and fastest ride yet. Rode along the Mohawk River west of Schenectady, from Schenectady County Community College to just past Rotterdam Junction. It was a great day for a ride, and the bike path wasn't too crowded, to boot. Riding the short section of path west of Rotterdam Junction, I saw turtles sunning on a log and some pretty big fish splashing in the shallows. The fallen leaves on the path were a reminder of the chilly weather we've had recently and an indication that autumn is close - a great season for running and riding (though, as the days get shorter, it gets tough to run and ride in the daylight!)

I should be in reasonable riding shape for the Autumn Classic Duathlon in Rochester in two weeks... it remains to be seen how well my pelvic injuries will handle the running.

JMH

2006 event totals
snowshoe - 3 miles, 59.5 min
running - 99.2 miles, 24 hr 48 min
riding - 32.4 miles, 2 hr 32 min