Saturday, October 14, 2006

The Year of the Crashed Turtle
THE WEEKEND OF MISSED RACES
Saturday & Sunday, October 14-15, 2006

Originally, this was going to be one of the big weekends of the fall racing season.

My first plan was to do the Pinnacle Challenge Double Duathlon in New Hampshire - road running, mountain biking, road biking, and trail running, all in one race. What a blast that must be!

Then I switched plans and decided to try the Mount Desert Island Marathon along the coast of Maine. Between the pictures and the descriptions, it sounds like a challenging but absolutely beautiful course! Now I've got it on the calendar for next year...

I actually registered for the Ridgewalk & Run 14 mi Trail Run out in Wellsville, in hopes that I'd be sufficiently recovered to do it... no such luck. Of course, with all the snow out that way late last week, I'm not even sure they were able to hold the event!

It's been a difficult weekend, having to miss all these cool events. On the plus side, I was able to attend the semi-annual breakfast where rank certificates are given to the folks who've tested for black belt ranks in the last six months, and see my student Kyle get his certificate. I'm glad I was able to be there for that. But it still bums me out that I wasn't able to do one of those races...

Oh, well. There'll be other years.

JMH