Saturday, November 18, 2006

HABITAT RESTORATION
6 Mile Night Run in the Pine Bush
Friday, November 17, 2006

The website of the Albany Pine Bush Preserve Commission probably says it best:

The Albany Pine Bush is known as an inland pine barrens ecosystem. One of the largest of only about 20 other inland pine barrens worldwide, the Albany Pine Bush is globally rare. It was formed toward the end of the last Ice Age 12,000 -15,000 years ago. At this time a large glacial lake stretched from present day Glens Falls, NY to Newburgh, NY. Over time, the water drained leaving behind the sandy deposits of the lake floor. These sandy soils now support the Albany Pine Bush ecosystem. Less than 20% of the original Albany Pine Bush ecosystem still survives today. This remaining area is divided by interstate highways, shopping malls, and industrial parks, and is threatened by further habitat loss.

The Pine Bush is important because of its outstanding biological significance. Characterized by well-drained sandy soils and open areas, it hosts a variety of rare plant and animal species. For example, its open areas present ideal conditions for wild blue lupine, a beautiful wildflower which is critical to the survival of the federally endangered Karner blue butterfly. The scrub oaks of the Pine Bush are also important in the survival of another rare insect called the Inland barrens buckmoth. Aside from these two insects, the Pine Bush supports many other species of wildlife including the eastern hognose snake and spadefoot toad. In preserving the Pine Bush, we have the opportunity to protect a rare environment for the unique species it supports as well as for the enjoyment of people for years to come.
(www.albanypinebush.org, 2005)


Part of the work the Commission does to preserve the Albany Pine Bush is what they call "habitat restoration." In some cases this means periodic controlled burns, which simulates the natural fires that would have occurred in the past. In other cases workers log the area to be restored, removing invasive tree species (particularly black locust) and essentially stripping the soil down to bare sand for replanting and regrowth. This was done in one of the areas off Columbia Circle last November, and led to my referring to that section as "the desert" through mid-summer, when ground cover finally became fairly consistently established.

Two weeks ago I found out that two of the trails along the Great Dune, one of my favorite sections of Pine Bush to run, were being closed so that 28 acres could undergo habitat restoration. At that point nothing had been done and I was able to run the trails just as I normally would. But at some point the work crews would be moving in and wiping out the woods I've run through for almost 6 years.

I almost didn't go running tonight... it's been a long week and I was beat. But I finally convinced myself to get out and headed over to the Willow Street trailhead to run the Great Dune trails. Looped down red to yellow, and got about halfway around the yellow trail when I started hitting the fallen trees. So I took a connecting trail over to blue and then another connector back toward yellow, hoping to bypass the work zone. Instead, I spent 15 minutes bushwhacking and trying to make my way over and around stacks of cut trees. I shudder to think of what it looks like in the daylight.

Finally found the yellow trail again, and headed back to blue, then ran blue the long way back toward red. Had to climb around a couple of cut trees early on - looks like the blue trail will not escape the destruction. I've read that all told they're clearing 28 acres - that's approximately 21 football fields and a LOT of woods.

A good run, all told, but the changes to those trails makes me sad. I understand why it's needed, and I support preserving the Pine Bush ecosystem. At the same time, though, I have a lot of memories running, riding, skiing, and snowshoeing through the woods on those trails, and I'm going to miss them.

JMH

(for more info on the habitat restoration, here's a PDF info sheet from the Albany Pine Bush Commission.)