Monday, March 05, 2007

5.4 Mile Run near Academy
Monday, March 5, 2007

Well, based on what's been passed around on the Gunks Runners e-mail list, the half marathon yesterday was very windy and included some tough hills. So it was probably a good move not to do it... I probably would have been left seriously wondering if I have a prayer of finishing the Eastern States 20 Mile...

I was pretty tired at the end of the day but still managed to convince myself to gear up and go out for a run along the streets near Academy. A cold front is moving in, so it was very windy a starting to get fairly chilly too. Passed a bunch of our track team running in the opposite direction (I haven't a prayer of passing those kids going in the same direction!) which was amusing... they are definitely an eclectic group.

The weather ranged from sunshine to clouds to snow flurries... only the wind was constant. After a long day in the classroom it was nice to get out in the fresh air. It'll be even nicer when I can run trails again!

I'd been hoping to do 8 miles, but by the time I finished 5 my legs were feeling tired, so I decided to give them a break - I did snowshoe yesterday, after all. Not a bad run, all told... averaged just under 12.5 min/mile, which isn't a bad pace... if I can average that at the Eastern States 20 Mile, I'll be very happy indeed!

JMH