Sunday, March 04, 2007

A LITTLE SNOWSHOEING INSTEAD...
6 Mi Snowshoe Run in the Pine Bush
Sunday, 4 March, 2007

After pondering where to run for quite a while (including mapping out several road routes) I finally decided I wanted to run in the woods. So I headed over to the Pine Bush, hoping that the snow would be sufficiently packed for me to run with my Yaktrax. After about 10 feet it became clear that it wasn't... fortunately, I had brought my snowshoes with me, so I switched to them and spent a while stomping around the woods. The start of my run was pretty cool - a snow squall blew in and it was coming down pretty hard for a few minutes. Shame I didn't have a camera with me! After that it was mostly sunny, and very windy when I made my way through the "habitat restoration" area... that's going to be a depressing section to run this summer.

Saw half a dozen other folks out walking on snowshoes... they seem to have gained a lot of popularity. (I was the only crazy out running on them, though! Assuming you can call what I was doing running...)

The first hour was tough, but after that it got better... I'm glad I stuck with it instead of wrapping it up after that hour.

Now later this week I definitely need to put in some time and distance on pavement...

JMH