Sunday, March 04, 2007

TWO RACES... ONE RACE... NO RACES...
Sunday, March 4, 2007

Started out planning to do two races this weekend - the Hawley Kiln Klassic snowshoe race as my last snowshoe event of the season, and the Celebrate Life Half Marathon as the start of my running race year.

Friday night I got home after teaching a sword class and decided that I had no enthusiasm for getting up at 5 AM to drive to Hawley Saturday morning. Between that and the fact that I still have a ton of grading to do to wrap up the winter term at work, I decided to skip the snowshoe race and save myself 4 hours of driving on Saturday.

Sunday the alarm went off at 4:45 AM and I contemplated getting up and driving for 2 hours down to Rock Hill for the half marathon. Again, no enthusiasm. It didn't take long for me to convince myself to turn off the light and go back to sleep.

So no races this weekend. Sometimes you just have to listen to your gut. And if I don't feel at least a little bit of fun and enthusiasm for a race - why do it?

JMH