Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A NEWLY DISCOVERED BLOG
Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Just for kicks I visited the Runners World Trail Running Forum today (I was looking for something to do while my kids took their latest quiz) and stumbled across a race report for Northern Nipmuck! How cool is that - almost all the races I read about on-line are big events far away, and here is one that's not only in the wonderful northeast but one which I ran!

Turns out the fellow writing the report has a blog called Off Track at the Nashua Telegraph. Part of one of his posts in particular struck a chord with me:

I’d always liked to run through the woods, but I had slacker’s bias for convenience. Why drive some place to go run? It seemed a poor use of time and gasoline.

Now I’ve changed, and I’ll tell you why: Pavement blows. Unless you are lucky enough to live way out in the sticks or beside a large park, the scenery on your street sucks, and the next block isn’t any better. This earth is a whole lot prettier when we leave it be. Sunlight dances on a pond. Pavement just gets hot and dull, and builders flatten all the lumps and fill the valleys as they sow suburbs. Also, it’s just too damn hard. Even dirt roads get packed pretty solid, but trails are gentle on the feet. You pick your way through the rocks and roots. You have to watch where you step, but there’s always a way. It’s like a dance, almost, synching your stride with the trail.

I never feel lonesome when I run alone through in the woods. The birds and squirrels may be shy, but there are always the trees, the sky and the occasional brook to keep me company. I’ve always felt close to them, like old friends.

(here's the rest of his post - much of it describes his experience doing the Greylock Trail Marathon last fall!)

That so eloquently describes why I love trail running. And it leaves me even more eager to have regular transportation again, so I can stop running around Albany and get back in the woods where I belong!

JMH