Monday, June 04, 2007

10 YEARS LATER...
Monday, June 4, 2007

Not precisely ten years, but close enough...

In late June 1997, I ran my first marathon, the Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon in Anchorage, Alaska. The training was tough and at times very painful (not surprising, considering that I hadn't done any running up until about 3 months prior to the race) but the race itself was an absolute blast.

In early June 2007 I realized a goal 9 years in the making and completed the Nipmuck Trail Marathon in Ashford, CT. The training should have been tough, but the truth is I went into this one underprepared, and definitely paid for it during the latter 6-7 miles of the race.

10 years ago I would not have expected to run another marathon (though I do recall saying afterwards that doing another one could be fun if only the training didn't hurt so much.) Now I'm hoping to do two more this fall, and even more further down the line (and someday - ultras!)

JMH