Sunday, August 26, 2007

21 Mile Ride Along the Erie Canal
Sunday, August 26, 2007

photo slideshow

When Ann headed down to the ambulance base for her Sunday night duty squad, I packed up the bike and headed over to the Public Safety facility on Scottsville Road to try and get in a ride before it got dark. At this point I've ended up parking there so many times in the past few weeks that I think they should name a parking space after me...





After a quick loop through Genesee Valley Park I headed west along the canal - a route I've ridden a lot in the past but not much this year. The first few miles run fairly high above the canal, and pass through mostly industrial areas, but then the surroundings shift to being a bit more rural (and easier on the eyes!) Some parts have only been paved for a few years now, which is definitely easier riding than the dirt path that used to be there.



At one point I almost managed to snap a picture of a kingfisher... but then he swooped down, snatched his dinner from the water, and disappeared across the canal. Oh, well.



After a quick rest stop at Greece Park, I headed a little bit further west before turning around and returning to the car. I definitely could have used a long-sleeved shirt or jersey on this ride - instead, I made do on the trip back with one of my windbreakers, which had me sweating pretty freely but beat shivering.



On the way back, I had a nice view of the rising moon, and I made a special trip to the crest of one of the Genesee Valley Park bridges to get a shot of the moon over the waters of the canal and Genesee River, which cross at one corner of the park.

JMH