Thursday, September 13, 2007

6 Mile Run at Five Rivers
Thursday, September 13, 2007

Five Rivers Environmental Education Center official site

photo slideshow

Originally I had thought to take part of my day off from school to go to Massachusetts, hike through Ice Glen, and then run the AT from Jug End to Sheffield Rd. But a little reflection helped me realize that I didn't want to spend 3 hours in the car... so instead I headed over to Five Rivers for my final easy run before the marathon on Sunday.



Another beautiful day today, and I guess lots of folks had the day off because there were quite a few people at Five Rivers. Fortunately, most of the trails I ran were off in the further reaches of the property, so much of the time there were no people around.



I started my run with the loop around the Beaver Pond, and wrapped it up the same way. The only wildlife in evidence the first time through were fish... but the second time I saw several painted turtles and the big snapping turtle. I spent quite a while standing on the bridge watching him cruise through the water... very cool indeed.




After that I walked through the visitors' area (in all the times I've been to Five Rivers, I've never been to the part most people go to see!) There was a butterfly garden with all manner of flowers (but no butterflies today) and, best of all, a bird feeder area with chickadees, woodpeckers, nuthatches, and several other birds enjoying the free meal. I sat there for a while watching them and taking pictures... what a great way to end the visit!




As I walked back to the car, I was struck by how peaceful it all was (a lot of the visitors had left by then) and realized that one of the things I miss most from being back to work is not being able to be outdoors whenever I want. I was fortunate this summer to spend a lot of time out in nature, and as much as I enjoy working with my students, I definitely miss that. Perhaps that also means I need to begin thinking about moving outside of Albany, so I can be a little bit closer to nature on a daily basis. I can't see myself moving too terribly soon, but there is no question that at some point in the future I need to get out of the city and into the countryside.






JMH