Monday, September 17, 2007

BAD PLANNING
Monday, September 17, 2007

For anyone who needs an example of bad planning (or just plain boneheadedness on my part) I offer the following:

Yesterday I ran, walk, staggered, hobbled, and otherwise finished a marathon under my own power. Today I had scheduled lab exercises for three of my five classes that involved going outside to take distance and time measurements. My classroom is on the third floor. On a normal day I need to go up and down the stairs twice - arriving/leaving, and for lunch. Today, I walked up and down those stairs five times. My hip is quietly grumbling at me right now... I think it's saying "Idiot... idiot... idiot..."

So far, the aftereffects of the marathon are a certain degree of fatigue, general overall soreness with some more acute aches in my legs and hips, and the possibility that I'm fighting off a bug of some sort. Not too bad, really. If all goes well I'll be going out on the bike tomorrow for any easy ride... I'll probably do very little running this week, just to give my running muscles time to recover. Then - it's back to work, to see if I can get ready for the Mendon 50k trail race in early November!

JMH