Tuesday, September 18, 2007

20.5 Mile Ride on the Mohawk-Hudson Bike Path
Tuesday, September 18, 2007


Legs were still too tired for a run, so I took the bike over to Lock 8 and rode the bike path west of Schenectady. Headed out to Scrafford Lane first, and found the tracks blocked by a train, so then I headed back down the path and down Mabee Lane to Route 5S. Rode down 5S through Rotterdam Junction and took the short stretch of path along the old Erie Canal back, then retraced my ride out back to the lock.





Started out with a wonderfully warm day, but since it was getting late in the day there were a lot of spots which were in the shade and a bit chilly. In fact, by the time I was on the last few miles to the lock it was downright cold!






Along one stretch of the old canal I startled a group of wood ducks, who of course headed for cover as I stopped and got out my camera. Surprisingly, I actually managed to catch a shot of one under the brush on the far side of the canal.





I was all set to finish when I got back to the car, but it turned out I had one of my rain jackets in the car (in hi-vis yellow) so I pulled it on to cut some of the cold and rode the path down to SCCC and back. On the way back I had some great views of the moon and the sunset... what a great evening!


JMH