Saturday, January 12, 2008

5 Mile Run in the Pine Bush
Saturday, January 12, 2008

I was a bit surprised at how much snow remained on the trails in the Pine Bush, especially after a week of above-freezing temperatures and a couple of bouts of rain. Some parts of the trails were completely clear, but many sections still had a good six inches of packed snow. Fortunately I wore my screw shoes, figuring there'd be some icy patches.... they didn't work as well in the deeper snow, but they provided great traction on the ice and in the clear sections.





As I came out into the section that was cleared last winter for habitat restoration, I had a great view of the sun shining through the clouds over the Helderberg Escarpment. I took a brief break to climb one of the hills and shoot some pictures. Maybe tomorrow I'll head over that way for a run.



Took today's run nice and easy, and I was pleased to see that it wasn't too bad... my last month or so of relative inactivity has definitely cost me some endurance, but it shouldn't be too bad to pick things back up.





On the way home there was a huge flock of crows swarming near SUNY... I opened my sunroof and had a nice view of them flying across the crescent moon in the twilight. Since I was stopped at a red light, I didn't think it would be a good idea to take a picture... too bad, it might have been a cool one!

JMH