Sunday, January 13, 2008

Yes, I'm Nuts (Part 2)
Sunday, January 13, 2008

I'd been thinking for a while about the Leatherman's Loop 10k trail race at the end of April... I last ran it in 2005 and discovered that the race field had pretty much doubled since I ran it in 1999. Since then, I've enjoyed the course during the December Gail's Trail Run, but I haven't been back to Leatherman's because it's so crowded.

So why did I just pre-register for the 22nd running on April 27?

I guess I've been feeling a bit nostalgic... after all, this is the race that started me running seriously again. Back in 2005 I stumbled across the race web-site and while looking at the pictures started thinking it would be fun to run the race again... and then I started thinking about the Summer Solstice Run at Minnewaska... and it all grew from there.

This may also be the last year that the original RD, Tony Godino, is organizing the race (I might be wrong and that may have been last year.) I don't know Tony, beyond having seen him at Gail's Trail Run for the last two years... but if this is his last year, I'd like to be there. (And if it's the first year for the new RD, then I can give him my support by running!)

Maybe part of it is motivated by how rapidly the race is filling up (since January 1st they've filled over 500 of the 900 spots open in the race) and I didn't want to waffle about registering and miss out.

In any case, I'm now signed up for the 2008 Leatherman's Loop. 6 miles of mud, dirt, water, and muck. And 800-900 other runners. No doubt after it's done I'll swear I'm never running it again. But I suspect I'll still have a good time (and afterwards, I can run some of the other trails in the park!)

JMH