Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mixed Blessings
Sunday, February 10, 2008

For the past week or so every day I've been checking the registered runners list for the Grand Island Trail Marathon in Michigan at the end of July, but today is the first day it's been updated since I sent my application in. At that point there were 56 spaces left - the race seems to be filling in record time this year.

My first reaction to seeing my name on the list was "Wow, I'm in."

My second reaction was "Oh, crap. I'm in." Because I know I'm nowhere near ready to run that race (good thing it's 5 1/2 months away, eh?) and this one will take some planning, because not only will I be running the race but I'm also looking to visit some parks and trails out that way... it's a long trip and I have no idea when I will ever get back to Michigan's Upper Penninsula, so I want to experience as much of its scenic beauty as I can before I destroy my legs in the marathon!

If all goes well, I'll end up running three marathons this year - Nipmuck (which I hope to finish a bit more strongly than my death march to the finish last year), Grand Island, and Mount Desert Island in Maine in October. I've got a lot of work to do!

JMH