Sunday, April 27, 2008

LONG DISTANCE 2008 - Race #2
Leatherman's Loop 10k Trail Race
Sunday, April 27, 2008


2008 Leatherman's Loop results

the short version:

Remember how I'm planning to run most of my spring races as training runs? Well, that worked OK today for about 2 miles, and then Stupid Turtle stepped in and picked up the pace. All told, a good morning in the fields, woods, streams, and MUD of the Ward Pound Ridge Reservation, and I made it to the finish line in 1 hr 18 min - almost exactly the same time as when I last ran this race, in 2005! Don't know if a fun time was had by all (there were a couple of injuries, and I overheard some whining in the parking lot afterwards, from road runners who apparently signed up for this race clueless about what they were in for) - but I had fun!

the longer version:

It was tough getting up this morning... lack of sleep from a busy spring at work is definitely taking its toll. I spent most of the drive down the Taconic Parkway fighting the urge to doze off... not fun. Though I did have two cool canine encounters on the way to Cross River - first a fox ran across the TSP and then stood alongside the road watching me drive by, then I saw a coyote tearing at a deer carcass along the side of I84.

No line to get into the Ward Pound Ridge Reservation, though there was a bit of a line for getting down into the field to park... but the volunteers were doing a spectacular job and all went quickly. Picked up my race number and T-shirt, then wandered around trying to take a few pictures. Saw Jim and Loretta briefly as I was heading back to the car and they were just arriving - good thing too, because that was the last time I saw them all morning! Back at the car I geared up, visited the bushes (the lines at the Port-o-Potties are always a killer) and then debated on what to wear, given the light drizzle and chilly temperatures... finally settled on a long-sleeved shirt (and should have gone short-sleeved, though I would have been cold waiting for things to start.) Then I gathered up my meager gear (water bottle and camera) and headed across the field to the start. Passing by the remains of the old oak tree in the field made me sad... that was such a grand old tree (and something like 500 years old.)

Start was delayed, probably in part by stragglers checking in at the last minute and in part by the race folks trying to get the mike and speakers working well in the rain. But they finally got it, and we were treated to a few minutes of acknowledgements and thank yous, recognition of folks who've run the Loop many times, and so on. All good stuff, though when it's cold and drizzling - I'd rather be running! The traditional Celtic/Navajo blessing was recited (a variation on the Navajo blessing I included in Friday's post - how's that for serendipity!)


Beauty before me when I run.
Beauty behind me when I run.
Beauty below me when I run.
Beauty above me when I run.
Beauty beside me when I run.
Beauty within me when I run.

I see beauty all around.
In beauty may I walk.
In beauty may I see.
In beauty may we all be.

Finally we were given the signal to start... and 840+ runners headed across the fields to the sounds of bagpipes and cheering from the spectators.

I was somewhat determined to take it easy during the race and save some energy for my post-race run, so for the first mile or so I ran at a pretty easy pace with a group that did the usual start/stop routine, especially every time we came to a spot that was muddy or that presented any sort of minor challenge. That lasted through the woods along the stream and then up and down the several hills that lead into the first stream crossing. The stream wasn't all that high - maybe mid-calf in the deepest spot - and I crossed without mishap, other than a really rude runner essentially pushing me aside so he could get in the stream faster. Having done this course several times now (with the last two times in December!) the cold water isn't as much of a shock and I was able to resume my pace right after leaving the water.

I finally started to lose patience with the start/stop routine as we ran along the opposite bank of the stream. The path there started to get fairly muddy in spots, and every time we hit a mudhole the group would slow to a crawl as people tried to tiptoe around it. So I started passing people by blasting straight through the mudholes (which also has the advantage of being more fun!) After running the picnic area the trail became singletrack, which was a bit more challenging - very few opportunities to get past the slower folks (yes, there are people even slower than me!)

Went through the aid station at the halfway point without stopping... that got me past a few more runners. The mud flats were very muddy... there were one or two spots where I thought I might end up on my back. The Wall (a long steep sandy hill) was a tough climb as always, but after that was a nice stretch of downhill, with one part weaving through a forest of tall pines... sweet! I made good time and passed some more folks.

Of course, what goes down must go up and the long gradual uphill climb was as grueling as ever. The stretch along the stream and then up into the woods was also tough, both because by then Stupid Turtle had long since taken over and I was pushing hard and because that section of trail always seems to me to go on forever before we end up at the field heading for the second, more challenging stream crossing. This year the water was the lowest its ever been in my three Loops (though it's usually not too high during the December run) and again I made my way across without any trouble, then pushed as hard as I could on the quarter mile mostly uphill final stretch to the finish, finally crossing in 1 hr 18 min 42 sec - almost exactly the same time as in 2005!

After that I wandered a bit, snagged some bagels, and looked for Loretta and Jim without success. Eventually I decided I needed to start the 2nd run before my legs locked up, so I hopped in the car and headed over to the trailhead for the paths leading up to the Leatherman's cave (the same paths I hiked last December after Gail's Trail Run, though I wasn't planning to go to the cave today - too many technical hills.)

I have to say I'm glad I decided to run the Loop this year... maybe it was because I know what to expect or maybe because I wasn't trying to run a "fast" pace for the first couple of miles, but I wasn't as annoyed by the number of runners like I was in 2005. All in all I had a good time... it might be a couple of years before I run the spring race again, but it wouldn't surprise me if I do run it again in the future.

Next up: the Medved Madness 15 mile trail race next Sunday at Mendon Ponds Park near Rochester... that's going to be a tough morning...

JMH

2008 Event Totals
Run 15.5 mi / 3 hr 12 min
Bike 0 mi / 0 min
Snowshoe 45.7 mi / 13 hr 19 min


states visited: MA, NH, NY, VT