Sunday, September 21, 2008

A TURTLE IN MAINE, Part 9 -
A Long Drive Back to Albany
Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ack. That was a long haul. Left southern Acadia at 1:45 PM and arrived in Albany at around 10:15 PM. Fortunately the weather wasn't so great... it would have been the pits to spend a beautiful afternoon driving for hours and hours.

Traffic ranged from tolerable to god-awful, with the worst being the five miles or so of backed up, bumper-to-bumper traffic at the Mass Turnpike/I-84 interchange. There was also a short intense downpour as I was driving down I-495 which reduced visibility to almost nothing and had traffic moving at a 30 mph crawl for 15 minutes or so... that was scary.

I have to admit, it was nice to get past I-84 along the Mass Pike - the traffic cleared out a lot, and I was on a road I've travelled a fair number of times in the last few years for various races. While I would have rather stayed at Acadia for a few more days, I was pretty darn glad when the drive was finally over and I was lugging gear from my car up to my apartment.

All in all, this was a fun weekend... despite the horrendous amount of time on the road at each end!

JMH