Monday, September 22, 2008

OFFICIALLY AUTUMN
17.5 Mile Ride Along the Mohawk Hudson Bike Path
Monday, September 22, 2008

As the various weather people talked about today being the first official day of fall, I found myself thinking about the irony that even though I have fairly rigorous training as an astronomer I don't really associate the seasons with the equinoxes and solstices in my own head. I've been thinking of it as "autumn" since the start of September!

The change of the seasons is most definitely upon us... I ended up riding the last 6 miles or so in ever-increasing darkness. Before too much longer I'll need to break out the mountain bike and lights to ride after work, even on the bike path - the wider tires are just much more forgiving and safer to ride on in the dark...

I also found myself contemplating using tights... it wasn't quite that cold yet, but it was definitely getting there!

JMH