Saturday, November 08, 2008

NOT-SO-LONG DISTANCE 2008 - Race #29
Mendon Trail Runs 20k
Saturday, November 8, 2008

2008 Mendon trail runs results -
5k 10k 20k 50k

4 AM today saw me crawling out of bed and rushing around to get everything packed so I could be on the road to Mendon by 5:15. I had originally planned to drive out last night, but ended up too tired after work... on the plus side, driving out this morning saved me close to an hour of driving back and forth from Ann's house to Mendon Ponds park. After a long grey drive (including a worrisome stretch near Syracuse where it was pouring) I ended up at Mendon for the last race I would be doing there in 2008.


Initial check-in was a bit annoying, as they had everybody in one line (and there were a lot of day-of registrations) which had me wondering just how much time I'd have left to visit the restroom and change into my running gear. Fortunately one of the organizers saw how long the line was and separated it so that those uf us who'd pre-reg'd were able to get through a little more quickly, which left me plenty of time to change clothes and get ready to run. Suprisingly it was warm enough that I felt pretty comfortable with just a long-sleeved shirt (or at least, I would once I started running.) Then I wandered up to the starting line, waited for the RD to say his piece (I assume he did, I couldn't hear him over the racket in the back) and off we went.


The first half mile is a fairly gradual uphill along the road, which I ran much too quickly back in 2006 (and checking my Garmin told me I was running it faster than I probably should today, too.) It was nice to finally head into the woods, where the somewhat rocky and rooty trails were covered with enough leaves that I was glad I'd decided to go with the Vasque's... I've yet to be disappointed by their traction. Pretty easy running for a ways, then up a steep hill to the water tower and down and up and down a series of rolling hills to run along the top of the ridge. The downhill after that was nice, but I knew there was another steep climb coming before we headed out of the woods and across some fields (with a climb up the last of the steep hills.) After that was a long downhill to the aid station - since I had plenty of water I didn't bother to stop.

The stretch back to the starting area always ends up being longer than I think it should be, with a long gradual climb along the way... it's always a pleasure to finally come out along Lost Pond, because then I know it's not far to go! Though the hills along that last stretch can be tough... none of them are very long, but I always find myself eager to finish the loop and those short climbs take the wind out of my sails. The final stretch through the fields, across the road, and around to the "finish" is a nice way to round it out, pretty easy running all told.


Except this time I had a second loop to run and GI cramps to boot... but they subsided somewhat as I crossed through the finish area (in 1:17:39, not bad all told), refilled my water bottle, and headed off up the road for the 2nd loop. Glanced briefly at the restrooms about a quarter mile away and decided I'd be OK... so of course the cramps came back with a vengeance as I followed the road, slowing me to a walk at times, and once I finally got back into the woods, forcing to go off trail for a bit to deal with the problem... not fun, but it made finishing the loop a whole lot easier than if I'd tried to keep going with my guts ready to explode.

Legs were defnitely feeling it as I trekked up and down the hills a second time... don't know if it was the hills, lack of training, remnants of last weekend's double, or lack of electrolytes, but my legs were definitely hurting by the time I reached the aid station a 2nd time. The temperature had also dropped a bit since the start, so I was finding it a bit chilly at times (though at least the rain held off!) But at that point it was just a matter to hanging in there and doing the last 2 1/2 miles or so to the finish. About half a miles from the end I passed a rather large fellow walking who looked like he was having a tough time... turns out he was doing the 50k, more power to him!


I was mighty glad to make it to the final downhill through the fields... pushed to get to the finish as fast as I could, but I was definitely hurting and it was one of my slower finishes. Can't say I'm thrilled with the time - 2 hr 47 min - but all things considered it's not even close to the worst run I've done this year. And I'm very glad I went for the 20k and didn't try to tackle the 50k... there's no way I would have managed to get myself out on that course for another loop, much less three more!

Didn't take many pictures, while the woods were very nice - it was overcast and grey the whole time and I really tried to concentrate on running... slowing to shoot photos would have made it far to easy to start walking and never stop.

Mendon's a great place to run, and I'm glad I made the trip over to do the race (especially since it meant I could spend the rest of the weekend with Ann.) I hope to do the 50k someday, but I don't think it will be my first one - the hills are just too tough and I think it's going to be a real challenge to keep going for 5 loops. Maybe next spring I can aim for running the Finger Lakes 50k in early July and then maintain my training to be able to possibly do Mendon in November... we'll see.

This should also be my last mid-length race for 2008... after this they're all under 10 miles.

JMH

2008 Event Totals
Run 247.8 mi / 56 hr 53 min
Bike 68.4 mi / 4 hr 59 min
Snowshoe 45.7 mi / 13 hr 19 min


states visited: CT, MA, ME, NH, NY, PA, VT