Saturday, November 22, 2008

TRAVELLIN' TURTLE - 2 DAYS, 4 STATES, Part 3
(New Haven, CT to New London, CT)
Saturday, November 22, 2008

After East Rock turned out to be a bust, I still had about an hour to kill before my friends were expecting me, so I decided to head south down I95 to the Connecticut Post Mall and see if there was a Borders down that way. It's been a dozen years or so since I've been down there... and a lot has changed in that time. The mall has expanded and in now the Westfield Mall (and includes a Borders, so that part of my trip was successful) and the area around it, which was always a major commercial strip between Milford and New Haven, has been developed in a really big way. I saw the same thing happen years ago to the commercial district outside of Poughkeepsie, but it was still a surprise to see what has been done in that area. And it was a very unpleasant surprise to see the effect that's had on the traffic there... I was very glad when I left there and was on the road back to New Haven and then out to Hamden, where my friends live.

We had a nice dinner and then hung around talking for far longer than I should have (seeing as I still had an hour of driving to get to New London.) Sometimes seeing old friends after a couple of years is awkward, but that never seems to be the case with these folks. Anyway, we wrapped up a very pleasant evening and I made an uneventful drive to New London, found the local Red Roof Inn where I had a reservation, and settled in for what would probably be a far too short night.

JMH