Saturday, February 21, 2009

BEING SICK SUCKS, Part 1 -
Hoxie/Covered Bridge 12.5 Mile Snowshoe Race - DNS

Saturday, February 21, 2009

During the afternoon and evening yesterday I began feeling more and more like I had a bug coming on... but I spent a couple of hours after classes cooking chili for after today's races, hoping that I would get a decent night's sleep and feel a lot better in the morning. But when I woke up this morning that clearly was not the case, so I slept a little later than I would have otherwise and left the for Greylock with just enough time to get there right before the race.

They had a pretty good crowd when I got there, 101 runners total between the two distances. I dropped off the chili and spent a few minutes chatting with my friends, who were all very sympathetic that I wouldn't be running. That picked me up a bit. I stayed long enough to watch the start of the race, then walked around for a few minutes taking pictures - it was a gorgeous day for a run! - before heading out to run some errands and then make the drive back home.

I have to admit, I'm more than a bit bummed that I missed the race, though it was really good to see the gang. There's still a slight chance I'll maintain my streak of at least 1 race each weekend since the end of December - tomorrow's run is quite a bit easier than today's.

On the plus side, I stopped at two Wal-marts on the way home and found several pairs of compression shorts in my size on the clearance racks... I learned earlier in the week that they're no longer selling the ones I use, so I'm trying to stock up as much as I can and delay having to look for a new one that's both affordable (for some reason, paying $40 or more for a pair of shorts just doesn't work for me) and works for me (most of the other ones I've tried have chafed in a variety of tender portions of my anatomy... ugh.)

Just have to wait and see how tomorrow goes.

JMH