Monday, February 09, 2009

No More Diamond Hill Trail Race
Monday, February 9, 2008

One of the staples of the fall trail racing season in New England was the Diamond Hill 22.5k Trail Race which took runners along a variety of challenging trails in northeastern RI (and across the border into MA.) I ran it back in 2007 and found it to be a tough haul, but still had a good time doing it. Last fall I signed up to run it and then decided I didn't want to make the drive down there that weekend... another casualty of the Year of the DNS. Sadly (from my point of view) word has come down that 2008 was the last year for Diamond Hill... the RD wants to focus his energies on its sister race, the Wrentham Forest Challenge. I can certainly understand that... anyone who puts the time and energy into organizing even one race deserves enormous thanks, and doing two within a month of each other had to have been a bear.

I have to admit, I feel a little bit bad now about skipping Diamond Hill last fall... I had hoped to run it again sometime and see if knowing what the course was like would help me improve my time. But apparently that just was not meant to be... oh, well.

JMH