Sunday, June 28, 2009

5 Mile Paddle Along Black Creek
Sunday, June 28, 2009

I was initially concerned about my ability to get in and out of my kayak, an action which typically causes me more than a little concern due to my crappy knees, but it actually ended up not being that big a deal... I just got a bit wetter than I usually do. Black Creek was much higher than when we paddled here last August - no great surprise, given the rainy weather we've been having - and there wasn't as much wildlife around, but it was still a fairly nice paddle, and a bit easier than last summer because many of the logs and obstructions were under water. I'd hoped we could explore a bit further, but the tree across the creek still hasn't been cleared and there was no way we were going to try to drag to boats over it (twice!) today.

I'm still experimenting with the best way to get pictures with my "new" camera (which doesn't fit in the waterproof camera bag I used last summer) - today I tried packing it in a waterproof boxand taking it out when I wanted to snap a photo. Very inconvenient, and once it started sprinkling as we were heading back to where we put in, I wasn't able to take any more pictures, since I'm trying not to abuse this camera as much as I did my dead Canon Powershot A570IS (which, to be fair, did last for somwhere between 40,000 and 50,000 photos and all sorts of conditions I suspect it wasn't designed for.)

Happily, the heavy rain held off until we got the kayaks out of the water and back in Ann's truck... it started pouring literally moments after we pulled out of the parking lot.

JMH