Monday, June 29, 2009

Ospreys Still Nesting, But the Eaglets Have Fledged
Monday, June 29, 2009

My drive to Fillmore Glen State Park conveniently took me past Montezuma NWR and Lock 1 on the Cayuga-Seneca Canal... of course, even if it hadn't I most likely still would have stopped to check out the qspreys and eagles.

The ospreys along route 20 are still nesting and taking care of their chicks... one adult was clearly visible, along with at least one other bird in the nest, I couldn't tell if it was the other adult or a youngster.

No great surprise, the eagle nest at Lock CS-1 was empty... when I was there two weeks ago the eaglets were clearly getting ready to fledge, and apparently they've done so. I did spot one of the youngsters in a tree further down the shore of Cayuga Lake. Next year I'll have to start visiting there earlier and maybe get a chance to see the eaglets when they're younger.

JMH